A Standard for Thumbnailers

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Tue Jan 9 00:09:09 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 00:15 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 10:54 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
> > That is very similar to the nautilus system. Except it stores the
> > commandline (supporting %i, %o, %s and also %u for source uri) in gconf
> > key per mimetype, also including a per-mimetype enable/disable toggle.
>
> There's one thing that I haven't been able to find out about the
> nautilus thumbnailers. I hope it's OK if I take the opportunity to ask
> about it here:
>
> Is the thumbnailer supposed to create PNG files that adhere to the
> thumbnailing standard? In other words, do the created thumbnail files
> have to include the comments that are required by the standard or does
> Nautilus add them later?

Nautilus (libgnomeui actually) adds the needed png comments, however
there is a bug report about this, since it means the "original
width/height" comment won't be right (it'll be the size of the file the
script generates). So, its extra nice if the thumbnailer adds the
width/height comments so we can reuse that.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a fiendish one-eyed firefighter looking for a cure to the poison coursing
through his veins. She's a supernatural hip-hop bounty hunter with a birthmark
shaped like Liberty's torch. They fight crime!