[Wasabi Proposal] XML desktop query language

Fabrice Colin fabrice.colin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 18:27:48 PST 2007

On 1/18/07, Jos van den Oever <jvdoever at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2007/1/17, Jean-Francois Dockes <jean-francois.dockes at wanadoo.fr>:
> > Well, there wouldn't be much point in having different backends if they
> > returned the same answers ! Freedom to the free software authors ! :)
> Of course there would be a point! Different file viewers or audio
> players are supposed to produce the same output too. Search engines
> are no exception. If we have a standard on the query format then we
> are saying that the users question reaches the index in the same way,
> so the answer should be the same too, unless the indexes have
> different feature sets.

As you just said, they -do- have different feature sets.
Each project has features that not all the alternatives have, and/or follows
very specific indexing/search strategies.

While results should be more or less the same for simple queries against small
data sets, it's to be expected that results are different in more
complex scenarios.

Fabrice