[Wasabi Proposal] XML desktop query language

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 22:02:02 PST 2007

2007/1/17, Jos van den Oever <jvdoever at gmail.com>:

> 2007/1/17, Jean-Francois Dockes <jean-francois.dockes at wanadoo.fr>:
>
> > Well, there wouldn't be much point in having different backends if they
> > returned the same answers ! Freedom to the free software authors ! :)
> Of course there would be a point! Different file viewers or audio
> players are supposed to produce the same output too. Search engines
> are no exception. If we have a standard on the query format then we
> are saying that the users question reaches the index in the same way,
> so the answer should be the same too, unless the indexes have
> different feature sets.

Well. Let me be the one to sit between both seats then :-) It would be nice
to have an expected behavior and result set, but I don't think we can
require that.

To the degree of respecting the basic elements of the query language, of
course, but when we come to the finer details we can't expect things such as
stemming, fuzzy searches, and diacritic transliteration (to name a few), to
be alike across the board.

Cheers,
Mikkel