[Wasabi Proposal] XML desktop query language

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 01:44:40 PST 2007

2007/1/19, Liam R E Quin <liam at holoweb.net>:

> On Mon, 2007-15-01 at 13:22 +0100, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I uploaded my first draft of a XML query language proposal for the
> > Wasabi desktop search spec.

The goal of the Wasabi project is to come up with light and simple standards
for *desktop search* - and eventually metadata as well. The standards
produced should be easy to adopt for app developers as well as search engine
developers. The query language should be expressed in xml.

How does it relate to
> (1) ANSI Z39.50, Z39.51

Z39.50 is a complex standard to say the least. It is designed for databases
(not indexes) and is afaik not designed with desktop use in mind at all.
There are xml dialects for z59.50 queries, but the whole framework is a
daunting thing to say the least. Look here for a z59.50 query example:
http://www2002.org/CDROM/alternate/XS2/ it does not look like a modern
standard geared towards easy adoption and desktop search to me.

(2) W3C XL Query Full Text

(assuming you are talking about w3c XQuery) XQuery is designed to query xml
documents. Is there something I miss?

Cheers,
Mikkel