Scanner infrastructure in freedesktop

Jean-Christophe Jice Cardot jice at free.fr
Sat Jan 20 09:22:01 PST 2007

Le mardi 16 janvier 2007 15:35, Étienne Bersac a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I'm gnome scan developer since this summer. Since a few month, sane, hal
> and scanner frontends developers took discussion about hal & sane and
> the future of sane in hal¹ and sane² mailing list.
>
> Printing support is quite good in freedesktop (thanks to cups), but
> Scanner support sucks. We only have quite good and wide device support
> with SANE, and a plethora of frontends³ (xsane, kooka, gnome-scan, …).
> HAL scanner support is one (great) point, but that's far from the whole
> solution for that issue.
>
> I guess we lake a piece of code that do the following job :
>
>       * Handle devices (both local and remote)
>       * Monitor buttons

Hi all (I'm reposting with the address I subscribed with :p)

I'm reading the list since a moment, but this is my first post, so don't
(b|f)lame me too much ;)

Well I've written such a software (buttons monitor), based on SANE, composed
of a daemon which runs a script when you press a button & a KDE GUI for
configuration, tests...

So I'm writing this ad :p

Well I'm forgetting the URL: http://cardot.net/KScannerButtons
(the to be published version 0.9.6 is localised in fr/es/de/cs/pt_BR and has
been tested with 3 backends: avision, hp3900 & plustek, but a lots of
backends have the word "button" in their source code...)

May be this can help.

regards

Jice

--