Scanner infrastructure in freedesktop

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Sat Jan 27 16:00:31 PST 2007

On Sat, 2007-27-01 at 12:28 -0500, Donald Straney wrote:
> > > No, I think a scanner and a videocamera are very different devices with
> > > very different capabilities and API requirements.
> >
> > ACK.
>
> Ok then, I'm outvoted.  That should make the scanning a little easier,
> without having to worry about bandwidth.

Well, an A3 (or US tabloid, 11x17) image in 16-bit-per-channel colour,
at 2400dpi, is of the order of 6 gigabytes of data uncompressed.
And yes, I do have an Epson scanner that can do that, although I
usually use 8-bit-per-channel since GIMP doesn't handle 16-bits
(16bit R, 16-bit G, 16-bit B) very well yet.

So you can have quite a bit of bandwidth.

And on a USB connection it can take quite a while to transfer
the image.

Liam