[Wasabi Proposal] End user search language

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 13:37:42 PST 2007

Hi All,

I put together a first take on formalizing an end user search language.

http://wiki.freedesktop.org/wiki/WasabiUserSearchLanguage

Let me emphasize that I write "search language" and not "query language".
This is designed for the average user that find the Google search language
more than enough. It has powerful features but I try to keep it as simple as
possible - both because i claim that users dont need more[1], and because it
should be as easy as possible to parse.

When this is said, it doesn't rule out that developers that want a basic
search feature in their music app/help browser <insert pet peeve> can't use
this language. There's still lots of functionality.

I'm not saying that I didn't forget anything or didn't totally blow it, so
go ahead and gimme the flames!

Cheers,
Mikkel

[1]: We actually have usability studies at work supporting this. Users
simply fire of lots of simple queries instead of doing one complex one.
Admit it - you do the same :-)