[Wasabi Proposal] End user search language

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Sun Jan 28 13:52:05 PST 2007

Dnia 28-01-2007, nie o godzinie 22:37 +0100, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen
napisał(a):
> Hi All,
>
> I put together a first take on formalizing an end user search
> language.
>
> http://wiki.freedesktop.org/wiki/WasabiUserSearchLanguage
>
> Let me emphasize that I write "search language" and not "query
> language". This is designed for the average user that find the Google
> search language more than enough. It has powerful features but I try
> to keep it as simple as possible - both because i claim that users
> dont need more[1], and because it should be as easy as possible to
> parse.
>
> When this is said, it doesn't rule out that developers that want a
> basic search feature in their music app/help browser <insert pet
> peeve> can't use this language. There's still lots of functionality.
>
> I'm not saying that I didn't forget anything or didn't totally blow
> it, so go ahead and gimme the flames!

+1, no flames here

I like the idea of using something more human-friendly. But you seem to
have left out the grouping parentheses?

type:audio (author=foo title=bar) or (author=bar title=foo)

> [1]: We actually have usability studies at work supporting this. Users
> simply fire of lots of simple queries instead of doing one complex
> one. Admit it - you do the same :-)

About usability - I think having to change the Reply-To for each post to
this list is somewhat odd :)

--
Patryk Zawadzki <patrys at pld-linux.org>
PLD Linux