Exact meaning of the Icon Naming spec.

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Jul 11 10:47:30 PDT 2007

The spec states:

Icon names are in the en_US.US_ASCII locale. This means that the
allowable characters in the icon names, must fall withing the US-ASCII
character set. As a further restriction, all icon names may only contain
lowercase letters, numbers, underscore, dash, or period characters.
Spaces, colons, slashes, and backslashes are not allowed. Also, icon
names must be spelled as they are in the en_US dictionary.

  The dash “-” character is used to separate levels of specificity in
icon names, for all contexts other than MimeTypes. For instance, we use
“input-mouse” as the generic item for all mouse devices, and we use
“input-mouse-usb” for a USB mouse device. However, if the more specific
item does not exist in the current theme, and does exist in a parent
theme, the generic icon from the current theme is preferred, in order to
keep consistent style.

Perhaps, as usual, this could be just a few % clearer.

But I read this as follows:

The underscore is a permitted character in icon names.

The dash character shall be used ONLY to separate levels of specificity.

So, it is my interpretation of the spec, reading it as I have elaborated
that:

	media-flash-memory_stick
	media-flash-memorystick
	media-flash-sd_mmc
	media-flash-sdmmc
	media-flash-smart_media
	media-flash-smartmedia

are proper icon names according to the spec, and that:

	media-flash-memory-stick
	media-flash-sd-mmc
	media-flash-smart-media

are not.

Comments?

It has also been brought to my attention that there is an icon name:

	zoom-best-fit

It appears to me that this is an error and that it should be:

	zoom-fit-best

because there could be other types of: "zoom-fit-*"

Which brings up another question.  Which is preferable:

	view-fit-window
	view-fit-height
	view-fit-width

or:

	zoom-fit-window
	zoom-fit-height
	zoom-fit-width

And, yes, I realize that there is a slight conflict between:

	view-fit-window

and:

	zoom-fit-best

But, I don't really see a solution for it.

--
JRT