Icon theme spec & inheritance

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Mon Jun 18 23:42:58 PDT 2007

On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 03:40:56PM -0700, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 23:27:57 +0200 Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> >>
> >> My recollection is that developers should not install these
> >> anywhere under share/themes.  The recommended place for them
> >> is under share/<app>/icons/<theme>.  Since these icons only
> >> ever need to be loaded inside your application, it's sufficient
> >> to add this directory to the icon search path within your code.
> >>
> >this is a nightmare for assembling and installing those themes ...
>
> No, it's not; this is easy, and is exactly how it should be done.

i think we read the posting completely differently ...
i thought shaun was talking about the 3rd party icons, as otherwise he'd
be just creating redundancy - i already said that the primary icons
should go into a private location.

> The default private icons for an app go in
> $prefix/share/<app>/icons/hicolor/.  The app then appends
> $prefix/share/<app>/icons to the theming search path.

yes, very good.

> There's a tutorial out there somewhere that explains this better, but
> I can't seem to find it right now.

damn, i don't know how to find it, either.
i'd be interested in the projected layout within a theme.