[Wasabi] FOSDEM conclusions - finalizing the search spec

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 21:13:22 EET 2007

2007/3/13, jamie <jamiemcc at blueyonder.co.uk>:

> On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 22:52 +0800, Fabrice Colin wrote:
> > On 3/13/07, jamie <jamiemcc at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> > > 1) in tracker the service type being searched is mandatory - I would
> > > prefer it to be a session property or even better a param in the
> > > NewSearch method. If it remains part of the xml then that bit should
> be
> > > mandatory in the xml schema/dtd
> > >
> > Wouldn't it be possible for you guys to default to all service types,
> unless
> > something like :
> >   <equals>
> >     <property name="wasabi:service"/>
> >     <string caseSensitive="false">EMail</string>
> >   </equals>
> > is specified in the query ?
> >

> Its possible for us to do a search everything but it would mean more
> work for us as our current architecture is highly service dependant.
>
> Unless there is a need to search everything (and Im not sure there is?)
> its unlikely we will implement it.

Just to clarify - in the Tracker  jargon you would query a the service
"audio" by adding the type attribute to the query element:

<request>
  <query type="audio">
      <fullText>
          <string>hendrix</string>
     </fullText>
  </query>
</request>

As noted in another mail I don't see any problem defaulting to type="all"
(this could be used for debugging both apps and search engines). With a
little documentation people will know to avoid it generally, no?

Cheers,
Mikkel