org.freedesktop.PowerManagement

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 08:08:05 PDT 2007

On 29/03/07, Holger Macht <hmacht at suse.de> wrote:
> 1. Shouldn't we add a "time until wakeup" argument to the suspend call? I
>    imagine a vcr application calling suspend with this argument to wakeup
>    and start recording. Yes, something we can add later on.

Yes, but I don't know a single laptop this works correctly for. You
could argue the same about Standby, Hibernate and Shutdown. Maybe
another method TimedSleep or something?

> 2. You are calling one section "compulsory basic interface". So in case
>    you don't have a real power management application such as g-p-m or
>    kpowersave on the desktop, but of course still need the shutdown and
>    reboot interfaces, someone else (the desktop base) has to implement all
>    of the others too? That seems unfeasible to me. Or am I getting
>    something wrong here?

Hmm. I figured they could all be just stubs that return NoHardware or
PermissionDeniedByPolicy or something like that. Maybe an error of
NotImplemented should be added to the spec. A stub in python is only a
few lines of code, and then we stop lazy XFCE (joke!) people from not
implimenting the whole base spec.

Richard.