org.freedesktop.PowerManagement

Holger Macht hmacht at suse.de
Thu Mar 29 08:24:14 PDT 2007

On Thu 29. Mar - 16:08:05, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 29/03/07, Holger Macht <hmacht at suse.de> wrote:
> >1. Shouldn't we add a "time until wakeup" argument to the suspend call? I
> >   imagine a vcr application calling suspend with this argument to wakeup
> >   and start recording. Yes, something we can add later on.
>
> Yes, but I don't know a single laptop this works correctly for. You
> could argue the same about Standby, Hibernate and Shutdown. Maybe
> another method TimedSleep or something?

Isn't it possible to define optional arguments?

> >2. You are calling one section "compulsory basic interface". So in case
> >   you don't have a real power management application such as g-p-m or
> >   kpowersave on the desktop, but of course still need the shutdown and
> >   reboot interfaces, someone else (the desktop base) has to implement all
> >   of the others too? That seems unfeasible to me. Or am I getting
> >   something wrong here?
>
> Hmm. I figured they could all be just stubs that return NoHardware or
> PermissionDeniedByPolicy or something like that. Maybe an error of
> NotImplemented should be added to the spec. A stub in python is only a
> few lines of code, and then we stop lazy XFCE (joke!) people from not
> implimenting the whole base spec.

NotImplemented would be the only correct return value, but from my point
of view, the interfaces wouldn't be compulsory anymore ;-)

I thing it has to be split and staggered in a more detailed way to become
sensible because shutdown and reboot have an exceptional position and must
be treated in a different way.

Regards,
	Holger