org.freedesktop.PowerManagement

Holger Macht hmacht at suse.de
Thu Mar 29 14:02:49 PDT 2007

On Thu 29. Mar - 16:06:28, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 21:58 +0200, Holger Macht wrote:
> > > Please at least _try_ to keep the interface simple and come up with use
> > > cases before adding useless API like "time to wake up after suspend":
> > > Holger did for Suspend() (a mythical VCR app) and I think that's fine
> > > although it's a bit far fetched / academic in some way,
> >
> > Ok, after thinking a little bit more about this, I think we should not add
> > the wakeup argument. And this for one reason: I think it is useful and I
> > think we should express it in the spec somehow, but not as an argument. In
> > regard to the rare amount of systems where it is supported, by using an
> > argument, we actually have no way to check if the system actually supports
> > it properly. We would just advertise that applications can use it, but
> > have no clue if it will do its job. So we should add an additional method
> > (TimedSleep whatever) in a future version as Richard already proposed.
>
> Perhaps that's a better idea. The morale could be that we want to make
> strong guarantees to apps using these methods. At least stronger
> guarantees than HAL (the mechanism) makes to the power management
> daemon. And I think that's fine.
>
> > > What's the point? Just state that apps simply must be able to cope with
> > > either a) no session bus; or b) no org.fd.P service. There's nothing new
> > > in that; apps need to cope with errors.
> >
> > The point is that you still might want to provide clever Shutdown() and
> > Reboot() methods for applications without the need to expose all the other
> > power management methods.
>
> But keep in mind that many hard code users will never use it anyway and
> few distros will ship it for their "twm / failsafe" session. They would
> probably just use kpowersave, g-p-m or whatever the distro wants.

That's not the point. There are systems, preferably desktop systems, which
run KDE or GNOME but still don't want to run g-p-m or kpowersave. Ideally,
on those systems, the user never ever gets to see g-p-m or kpowersave. But
they still want to use applications which make use of Shutdown() or
Reboot(). And there are plenty of use cases, for instance decoding a video
file which lasts several hours and having a checkbox like...

  [x] Shutdown system when job is done

Regards,
	Holger