org.freedesktop.PowerManagement

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Mar 29 14:31:50 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 23:02 +0200, Holger Macht wrote:
> > But keep in mind that many hard code users will never use it anyway and
> > few distros will ship it for their "twm / failsafe" session. They would
> > probably just use kpowersave, g-p-m or whatever the distro wants.
>
> That's not the point. There are systems, preferably desktop systems, which
> run KDE or GNOME but still don't want to run g-p-m or kpowersave. Ideally,
> on those systems, the user never ever gets to see g-p-m or kpowersave. But
> they still want to use applications which make use of Shutdown() or
> Reboot(). And there are plenty of use cases, for instance decoding a video
> file which lasts several hours and having a checkbox like...
>
>   [x] Shutdown system when job is done

That's a really good use case for Shutdown() FWIW - Richard, can you add
this to the spec? Thanks.

Anyway, at the end of the day it's up to the distros / users. The only
thing we can do here at xdg-list is to strongly recommend that every OS
provides the org.fd.PM interface for every desktop environment it ships.
Even if they do that, users may rip it out themselves. That's just the
nature of an open system.

     David