org.freedesktop.PowerManagement

Holger Macht hmacht at suse.de
Thu Mar 29 14:52:40 PDT 2007

On Thu 29. Mar - 17:31:50, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 23:02 +0200, Holger Macht wrote:
> > > But keep in mind that many hard code users will never use it anyway and
> > > few distros will ship it for their "twm / failsafe" session. They would
> > > probably just use kpowersave, g-p-m or whatever the distro wants.
> >
> > That's not the point. There are systems, preferably desktop systems, which
> > run KDE or GNOME but still don't want to run g-p-m or kpowersave. Ideally,
> > on those systems, the user never ever gets to see g-p-m or kpowersave. But
> > they still want to use applications which make use of Shutdown() or
> > Reboot(). And there are plenty of use cases, for instance decoding a video
> > file which lasts several hours and having a checkbox like...
> >
> >   [x] Shutdown system when job is done
>
> That's a really good use case for Shutdown() FWIW - Richard, can you add
> this to the spec? Thanks.
>
> Anyway, at the end of the day it's up to the distros / users. The only
> thing we can do here at xdg-list is to strongly recommend that every OS
> provides the org.fd.PM interface for every desktop environment it ships.
> Even if they do that, users may rip it out themselves. That's just the
> nature of an open system.

I don't why it's only me seeing the problem here? You want to have
Shutdown() and Reboot() on _every_ system, but not mandatory the other
methods. If you don't have a pm application providing "the other" methods,
you need to implement them somewhere else to meet the spec's
requirements. And that seems wrong to me. If you need to implement them a
second time, you could do it right at the one place where you need them
compulsory, the desktop base. You won't need a pm app then.

And that was the last time I'm trying to explain the issue I see, because
I can't do better ;-)

Anyway, in consideration of David's mail and what importance he gives to
that spec, I really like to hear more comments from the desktop people.

Regards,
	Holger