org.freedesktop.PowerManagement

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Mar 29 15:31:43 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 00:25 +0200, Holger Macht wrote:
> > Am not really sure where we disagree. I mean, GNOME ships with
> > gnome-power-manager in the release set, so GNOME is good out of the box.
>
> People want to disable gnome power manager on usual desktop systems.

Well, perhaps a few of them do - I'm personally happy enough to have
g-p-m monitor my UPS on my desktop session. Anyway...

> > I think if KDE doesn't ship with kpowersave (or something else), you
> > want to tell the KDE people to at least provide _something_? Ditto for
> > other desktop environments. The desktop in question may choose to punt
> > this to the distribution.
>
> Yes, and I'm arguing that if for whatever reason, one doesn't like to ship
> or use "something", you still should have Shutdown() and Reboot(). So
> these two methods should not depend on a power management interface.

Perhaps it's just easier to remove these from the org.fd.PM interface
then and tell ISV's to do... something else. I don't know. What's the
freedesktop.org story for this these days? How should an app reboot the
system? XMSP? Wasn't Dan Winship of Novell working on this?

     David