org.freedesktop.PowerManagement

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Sat Mar 31 09:02:18 PDT 2007

Sorry, send this yesterday, but via wrong mail-adress (get hold by mailing
list), only for the sake of completeness (seems something like that is now
already proposed):

Subject: Re: org.freedesktop.PowerManagement
Date: Friday, 30. March 2007, 23:50:33
From: Danny Kukawka <danny.kukawka at web.de>
To: xdg at lists.freedesktop.org

On Freitag, 30. März 2007, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 23:19 +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  I thought supporting an opinion did not require one to repeat it,
>
> I didn't ask you to repeat your opinion; I just thought it was off-topic
> to discuss the implementation of g-p-m. Sorry if I didn't make that
> clear.
>
> > but if you
> > want: Shutdown/Reboot are basic functionality but power management
> > features are an add-on that not everybody may be interested in having
> > (see above for my feedback on that part). Since a DBUS interface cannot
> > be split that makes the whole org.fd.PM interface optional and therefore
> > Shutdown/Reboot should not be part of it.
>
> The problem here is that Inhibit() on org.fd.PM affects the
> implementation on of Shutdown() and Reboot() - e.g. if I want to be able
> to make sure that the user gets this dialog
>
>  Some app $APP is preventing shut down because: $REASON.
>
>                                [Cancel] [Shut down anyway]

But you can add Inhibit() also to the interface which provide Shutdown() or
Reboot() and you can show this dialog from this application. Yes this mean
you have to call Inhibit() on two interfaces, but this shouldn't be a problem
(or we implement Inhibit() only on the same interface like Reboot() and if
the user call Suspend() the tool which implement org.fd.PM have to check for
Inhibit() there.)

Danny