PowerManagement Spec Crazy Stuff

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 01:06:49 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 19:59 +0200, Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> "Frank sometimes forgets to switch off his laptop. Today, he's at
> work,
> working on battery. A colleague asks him if he wants to go out for
> lunch.
> Frank forgets to suspend his laptop and goes for lunch. After return,
> the
> notebook has suspended automatically after 20 minutes. Frank is happy
> that
> his battery hasn't run out and he's still able for work without
> powersupply."
>
> I've recently added this features to powermanager, it's really handy
> and
> useful.

Yes I totally agree. GNOME Power Manager has been doing this for over
one year. I don't see why we have to export the data in the o.fd.pm
interface tho? The power manager can either query X, ConsoleKit or the
screensaver (in the case of GNOME) but I think that's an implementation
detail.

> For me, the FDO PM interface would be incomplete without those
> options,
> especially the second one is very important to me and I would be happy
> seeing
> it implemented in a straightforward way. (Right now, I'm poking
> XScreensaver
> to get this kind of information, not nice, but works.)

This interface is *provided* by the power management software, not used
by it. What you really want (I think) is an API for idle detection which
may be subject for discussion sometime soon.

Richard.