org.freedesktop.PowerManagement

Holger Macht hmacht at suse.de
Fri Mar 30 04:01:58 PDT 2007

On Fri 30. Mar - 13:04:45, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 20:42 +0200, Holger Macht wrote:
> >
> > I actually wonder why nobody else from the desktop people comment on
> > this. I also wonder why this problem with shutdown and reboot didn't came
> > up before and got defined somewhere else in the past. They seem important
> > to me ;-) This should be of interest all desktops. I see three
> > possibilities here:
> >
> >  1. Either we keep shutdown and reboot mandatory like the other o.f.pm
> >     methods, then all desktops have to make sure that _all_ those methods
> >     are actually always implemented in the desktop session no matter of
> >     any power management application. At least they have to return
> >     NotSupported or the like.
> >
> >  2. We all, desktop and power management people, agree that a power
> >     management application is compulsory in every desktop session.
> >
> >  3. We and/or the desktop people define those two methods somewhere else
> >     to be mandatory. This way we could leave them optional in the o.f.pm
> >     spec application. This would be my preference.
> >
> > Something else? What do you say?
> >
> I think Shutdown and Reboot are power management operations, so they
> make sense in the o.f.pm interface, so I would vote for having them
> mandatory and the others optional, so that every desktop can implement
> what they want/can

Would make sense. So every desktop has to provide
org.freedesktop.PowerManagement. As soon as there is a smarter
application, it can grab the interface and can provide additional ones
(Suspend(), ...). But it would still only forward it to the desktop
itself.

Currently we are limited by the fact that different methods on the same
interface can't be handled by different services. Any way so solve this?

Regards,
	Holger