proposal for extending XSETTINGS registry keys

Stanislav Brabec sbrabec at suse.cz
Fri Mar 30 07:39:36 PDT 2007

Matthias Clasen píše v Pá 30. 03. 2007 v 10:21 -0400:
> On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 15:59 +0200, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
> > Matthias Clasen wrote:
> >
> > > Looking again at your list of Gtk/ XSettings, I notice that you missed
> > > a few:
> >
> > It can also include some settings from former environment variables.
> >
> > Net/Locale
> >
> > Or more specifically map LANGUAGES and all LC_* categories to:
> > Net/Language Net/Locale_Time or Net/LC_Time
> >
> > (KDE/Qt already includes locale change on fly, but GNOME does not.)
>
> No chance to get this to work with any gettext-based localizations.
> At least not with reasonable effort. Lets try to concentrate on
> realistic things, please.

Change on fly is hard to implement, but change on application start
without session restart could be nearly one line change in gtk_init() or
so. And it will fix long standing issue, how to change locale of GNOME
session, when started from KDM.

> > And even Net/PWD could be interesting for global changing working
> > directory of running applications.
>
> Why ? What does this have to do with the mandate of XSETTINGS ?

Net/WD: Maybe a common way to change initial working directory for GUI
based launchers (e. g. while application is launched from menu).

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
SUSE LINUX, s. r. o.                          e-mail: sbrabec at suse.cz
Lihovarská 1060/12                            tel: +420 284 028 966
190 00 Praha 9                                fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic                                http://www.suse.cz/