Xesam meta-meta-data spec needs attention.

Evgeny Egorochkin phreedom.stdin at gmail.com
Fri May 4 06:04:02 PDT 2007

On Thursday 03 May 2007 12:42:00 Josef Spillner wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 May 2007 23:19:06 Evgeny Egorochkin wrote:
> > Yes. the problem is you'll have to specify ranges like
> > 0-0.9999999999999999999 :) unless we have some way to limit float
> > precision.
>
> On the other hand, if you want to represent a range on a visual slider
> widget, having exclusive ranges puts the burden of calculation on the
> widget creator. Exclusive seems to make sense for rather continuous data
> (like your example above), but becomes complex as hell for date types (e.g.
> < March 1, is that Feb 28 or 29?)

Seems the best way around this is to introduce precision. This way we can
limit datatime field to store year, date or time.

This is also useful since some formats like ID3 provide Year tag. Precision
allows us to discern between content created on 1st Jan of some $Year and
content created in $Year with precise date unknown.

Exclusive ranges are easily eliminated with the help of precision.

--Evgeny