Xesam meta-meta-data spec needs attention.

Joe Shaw joe at joeshaw.org
Fri May 11 14:34:15 PDT 2007

Hi,

On 5/11/07, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com> wrote:
> Basically we have four desktop ontologies that I know of:
>
> Strigi:
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/kdesupport/strigi/src/streamanalyzer/fieldproperties/
> Tracker :
> http://svn.gnome.org/viewcvs/tracker/trunk/data/services/
> Spotlight:
> http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Reference/MetadataAttributesRef/index.html

The plan with Beagle was always to use existing ontologies where they
exist.. of course, we never really got around to doing that, which is
why a lot of them that aren't covered by Dublin Core are in the
"fixme" namespace.

I still think this is probably the way to go, especially if we have a
desire to easily transition to or from RDF.  Tracker's seems like the
closest to this.

I haven't been following this thread super closely.  Why define these
in .desktop-like files rather than in some sort of documented
specification?  Code is what ultimately will be setting these, so it
will have to obey them.

Joe