Xesam meta-meta-data spec needs attention.

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Fri May 11 14:14:55 PDT 2007

It's about time we start drafting the actual ontology for xesam. Although
the actual method of describing the fields is still in heavy debate we can
still start drafting. To this end I nailed down an *intermediate* way of
doing this. I've updated the wiki page
http://wiki.freedesktop.org/wiki/XesamMetadataFieldsDraft with a description
of the *intermediate* way of drafting the ontology as well as some simple
guidelines for the actual design of it.

Basically we have four desktop ontologies that I know of:

Strigi:
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/kdesupport/strigi/src/streamanalyzer/fieldproperties/
Tracker : http://svn.gnome.org/viewcvs/tracker/trunk/data/services/
Spotlight:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Reference/MetadataAttributesRef/index.html
Nepomuk: ? I couldn't find one... Sebastian, Jos, Phreedom?

I've looked a bit into these and I think the Strigi one is the one closest
to what I had in mind. It has received a lot of thought and seems generally
coherent. It would be ideal to store the ontology drafts in a VCS, but we
have none yet - I don't know if the wiki would be disastrous or not... Any
ideas on a temporary storage idea until we get a subversion module at fdo?

Cheers,
Mikkel

PS: There has been some IRC discussions on #xesam at FreeNode, so if you really
feel like chiming in on this you could hang out there as well as on this ML.
Any important debates will of course go through the mailing list still.