[XESAM] Meeting reminder, this Monday 20:00 UTC

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Sun May 13 12:38:39 PDT 2007

As mentioned somewhere in the flood of mails recently, we will be holding an
IRC meeting to get some traction under the metadata spec.

The meeting will start at 20:00 UTC on #xesam on FreeNode, and it is my hope
that we can get through the agenda in <= two hours

AGENDA:

 1) All of the hundreds of thousands of enthusiastic developers say "Hello
world" to each other and gives a one line introduction of them selves

 2) Getting started on the shared ontology
    - A stepping-stone/intermediate ontology language has been proposed on
http://wiki.freedesktop.org/wiki/XesamMetadataFieldsDraft to get the
darfting started.
    - How to store the draft? We have no svn yet. In the wiki with one core
maintainer which all updates go through has been proposed. Yours truly
suggests that Evgeny (aka Phreedom) of Strigi fame be this person.

 3) How do we represent the final ontology? Three alternatives have been put
up: In a .desktop like format, some simple RDF syntax, or just a written
spec

 4) A type system?
    - Do we need a type system/mapping? Ie. to group stuff like Email,
Conversations, Music, Video, Contacts, Documents, Images, Websites, News.
The current search spec relies somewhat on this.
    - Is the current way it is handled in
http://wiki.freedesktop.org/wiki/XesamQueryLanguage acceptable (see 2nd
example)?
    - How could a type system be described in the proposed ontology
representations?

5) libxesam, libxesam-glib, libxesam-qt
    - How should we provide helper libs? The current idea is to have a
platform independant libxesam and provide toolkit bindings in wrapper libs.
Is it worth the effort to have a shared lib instead of doing platform
dependeant libs directly?

6) Anything else?

6) Free beer

END AGENDA

It is not expected that we reach final conclusions on all topics, but we
should make sure we have enough to move on with the spec as a whole.

Cheers,
Mikkel