[fuse-devel] fuse desktop integration / management library

nf2 nf2 at scheinwelt.at
Mon May 14 07:06:12 PDT 2007

Miklos Szeredi wrote:

>>> A nice model for this is ssh-askpass, no need to support anything in
>>> libfuse for this to work.
>>>

>> i think the ssh-askpass model won't work for this. i need a way to pass
>> a password as mount parameter (to sshfs, cupsftpfs), which is not
>> visible in the command line (and in the process list). what about
>> setting a FUSE_MOUNT_PASSWORD envir variable? would that be safe?
>>
>> btw: sshfs seems problematic, because it prompts the password in the
>> terminal, and i couldn't find a way to automatically answer this prompt
>> with a wrapper executable that controls stdin/stdout/stderr of the sshfs
>> executable...
>>

> No, if there's no terminal available ssh will call ssh-askpass (or any
> other program set in SSH_ASKPASS), which is a simple password asking
> GUI.
>
> This could be used by other filesystem (like smbfs) which need to ask
> a password even if there's no terminal available.
>
> This could also be wrapped and added to libfuse, but I don't think
> it's worth it.
>
> Miklos

yes - i agree - probably an executable which docks on some kind of
"askpass" service. but for modules like curlftpfs i would suggest
setting the password in an environment variable.

i have continued working on "libfusi":

http://www.scheinwelt.at/~norbertf/devel/fusi/files/

the "libfusi" package contains
* the management interface library (see fusi.h)
* a simple cli client (fusi-client)
* module-specs and mount helper binaries for sshfs and curlftpfs

the "gfuse-manager" package contains a gtk based client which uses
libfusi (sshfs works well when ssh-askpass is installed)

please try and give me feedback...

regards,
norbert