finding directory icon

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed May 30 21:46:19 PDT 2007

Sebastian Gurin wrote:
>Hi all. This is my first message to this list. I'm just starting with
>freedesktop's standars extending the xdg-utils shell scripts.
>
>Well, my problem is the next: I would like to find the icon name that
>represent a directory in a freedesktop based system.
>
>At this moment, I'm able to find common file's icon's looking in
>their .desktop file in $XDG_DATA_DIR/icons directories. But directories
>("x-directory/normal" mimetype) seems not to have an asociated .desktop
>file like "normal" files like .mp3, .html, etc. So the question is: how
>can I obtain the icon's name of the mimetypes like
>"x-directory/normal".
>
>Last, I'm working with linux debian based systems.
>
>Thanks in advance, and excuse me for my poor english.  Any tip will
>help.

Since you're talking about .desktop files for icons and mimetypes, I
believe you're referring to KDE 3's MIME type system. That is not XDG's
shared-mime system, which uses XML files instead.

If that is so, you're looking for the wrong MIME type. Directories in KDE3
are inode/directory. And that one works:

$ grep Icon= $KDEDIR/share/mimelnk/inode/directory.desktop
Icon=folder

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358