[fuse-devel] fuse desktop integration / management library

Miklos Szeredi miklos at szeredi.hu
Tue May 8 08:40:28 PDT 2007

> >> * password callbacks (needs support in libfuse or a second library
> >> linked into fuse modules, because the current way of specifying
> >> passwords as command line args is unsecure)
> >>

> > A nice model for this is ssh-askpass, no need to support anything in
> > libfuse for this to work.
> >

> i think the ssh-askpass model won't work for this. i need a way to pass
> a password as mount parameter (to sshfs, cupsftpfs), which is not
> visible in the command line (and in the process list). what about
> setting a FUSE_MOUNT_PASSWORD envir variable? would that be safe?
>
> btw: sshfs seems problematic, because it prompts the password in the
> terminal, and i couldn't find a way to automatically answer this prompt
> with a wrapper executable that controls stdin/stdout/stderr of the sshfs
> executable...

No, if there's no terminal available ssh will call ssh-askpass (or any
other program set in SSH_ASKPASS), which is a simple password asking
GUI.

This could be used by other filesystem (like smbfs) which need to ask
a password even if there's no terminal available.

This could also be wrapped and added to libfuse, but I don't think
it's worth it.

Miklos