standard dependancy system

Thomas Leonard talex5 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 15:46:11 PST 2007

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 23:10:01 +0100, Mildred wrote:

> Le Thu 22/11/2007 à 18:25 Thomas Leonard à écrit:
>> On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 15:58:23 +0100, Mildred wrote:
>>
>> This is almost exactly how it already works (except that the URI for
>> libpng is actually
>> http://freenet-homepage.de/LinuxCNC/0install/Libpng/ libpng.xml). See:
>>
>>   http://0install.net/
>>
> Yes, 0install might work like that (I never used it) but not everyone
> wants to use 0install and some prefer using the packages provided by the
> distributrion.

The URI is just a unique name. It might well resolve to a package
provided by the distribution, although often no package is available
locally, or is too old, and one will be downloaded instead.

Out of interest, may I ask why you haven't tried it (since you're
obviously interested in installation systems)?

> The idea was more to provide a standard interface that would be
> customized by the distribution.
>
> Maybe this could be integrated in 0install somehow, providing hooks so
> the distribution may customize what happens when a resource is required.
> Do you think it is possible ?

Sure, this has already been done:

  http://0install.net/distribution-integration.html

> And do you think it is possible to make it widely accepted ?

Most major distributions already include it (Debian, Fedora, and Ubuntu
at least, last time I checked).

I run ROX, and I get most of my applications that way too (and I just
noticed that my window manager, Ion3, started providing a Zero Install
feed a few days ago too), so I'm pretty happy about adoption. If you want
to use other stuff, I guess you'll have to ask the authors to provide a
feed.

--
Dr Thomas Leonard		http://rox.sourceforge.net