locale specific for .desktop

Takao Fujiwara - Tokyo S/W Center Takao.Fujiwara at Sun.COM
Thu Oct 4 06:38:14 PDT 2007

There are a number of locale specific problems for .desktop spec.

#1. Language specific launcher options.
I'ld like to switch the command options by languages.

E.g.
Name=Document
Exec=gnome-open file:/usr/share/doc/foo/C/index.html
Exec[de]=gnome-open file:/usr/share/doc/foo/de/index.html
Exec[fr]=gnome-open file:/usr/share/doc/foo/fr/index.html

How about locale executions?

#2. .desktop could be shown on a locale only.
I'ld like to show a locale specific application on the locale only in gnome-panel menus.

E.g.
Name[zh_CN]=Application Name
Comment[zh_CN]=Application Comment
Exec=/usr/bin/zh_CN-application

How about removing C Name?

#3. Filename encoding.
I'ld like to keep Encoding=UTF-8 but the actual filepath could be several encodings.

E.g.
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=foo
Comment=foo
Icon=file:/home/foo/EUC encoding/foo.png

How about URI escape sequences?

Thanks,
fujiwara