DBus server for keyboard layouts

Sergey Udaltsov sergey.udaltsov at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 15:27:45 PDT 2007

>  I think "classic app" is somewhat misleading here ... how about "the vast
> majority of apps" ? It rather changes what's written below.
"Vast majority" does not describe that class of functionally:) I do
not insist on terms but I think we understood each other.

>  Which I expect would be so annoying that keyboard switcher would have to
> implement the layout per window feature.
It does, in both KDE and GNOME. But it is optional - some people still
prefer it the windows way.

>  Maybe there are more, but these two are enough and they're both realistic. I
> think you cannot just have apps say "switch (the global layout) to layout
> XYZ". A possible solution I see is e.g. instead having setLayoutForWindow(
> window_id, layout ).
This is detail of implementation IMHO - but in general I see your
point. Yes, race conditions are possible. Checking for the active
window would allow to resolve some of them (not allowing inactive
windows to change the layout directly) - but I have to think more
about it.

Thanks for the insightful comment,

Sergey