Desktop-wide input language info

Changwoo Ryu cwryu at debian.org
Sun Oct 14 16:09:13 PDT 2007

2007-10-14 (일), 23:19 +0200, Mildred 쓰시길:
> Le Fri 05/10/2007 à 23:51 Nicolas Mailhot à écrit:
> > Windows solved this problem years ago. Instead of having a keyboard
> > layout/IM switcher, you add a language switcher to the desktop.
> > Switching languages may require a layout/IM change, or not. When it
> > requires a layout/IM change the switcher behaves like the current
> > GNOME or KDE keyboard applet. The smart thing is that even when there
> > is no layout/IM change needed the user can still press his switcher
> > hotkey, and apps are informed the language being typed changed.
>
> What about if I have two windows. In one I'm writing an e-mail in
> english, and in the other, I'm creating a document using another
> language ?
>
> Maybe it could be a per-window property ... i think the keyboard layout
> can be like that too.

Per-window property is not useful as it seems.

Now my desktop actually has a Tomboy note window which has some ideas
written in Korean, and I'm writing this mail in English. Completely
different 2 ways of keyboard input are used in these two windows; QWERTY
in Evolution, and Korean IM in Tomboy. Guess what my current
English/Hangul state in the Tomboy window is: English.

I once tried per-window and per-app English/Hangul state options (nabi
XIMS has such an option), but soon I realized these options really
confused me. Everytime when I switched between windows, I had to check
the English/Hangul state in systray because I couldn't remember all the
states of the windows in my desktop. Per-window state was useful only
when I could remember those states easily (eg. fast switching betweeen
writing text & Instance Message).

It's surely an overhead to press English/Hangul toggle key more. It is
not required with per-window property. But IMO it's much better than
increasing user confusion.

--
Changwoo Ryu <cwryu at debian.org>