DBus server for keyboard layouts

Sergey Udaltsov sergey.udaltsov at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 08:49:12 PDT 2007

> no - dbus will make things worse. this is X11. this service belongs at the x
> protocol layer.
I would totally agree unless there would be no things which are not
related to x at all - countries/languages. This is higher language.

> you don't like xkb? write a library that wraps it and makes it
> easier.
Haha. First, there are several things which are broken in XKB and
wrapper cannot fix them without losing network transparency.
Especially when it comes to RMLVO-based configuration. Daniel Stone is
working on that part - but it will appear (in the very base case) in
the next stable version of Xorg. But again - this is all rather
low-level matter. The proposed DBus interface trying to deal with
higher-level terms which were never handled by X. Should we create
another (XLOCALE?) extension instead of dbus service, what do you
think?

Cheers,

Sergey