locale specific for .desktop

Takao Fujiwara - Tokyo S/W Center Takao.Fujiwara at Sun.COM
Fri Oct 19 02:14:37 PDT 2007

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Em Thursday 18 October 2007 12:34:01 Takao Fujiwara - Tokyo S/W Center
> escreveu:
>
>>In the current implemetation, I have no workaround to do this but this
>>configuration is needed by users. Would you help this?
>
> [snip]
>
>>The situation is, whether the configuraters like it or not, the settings
>>are needed under a contract and the application is expected to use on a
>>locale.
>

> If I understand correctly now, you're under a contract to develop an
> application that shows in the menus only when the locale is set to a given
> value.

I thin it seems nearly right. If I try to express, I'm working under a escaltion from customers.

> If you're looking into modifications for the XDG standard, then you must also
> be under contract to provide the entire desktop to the user. Otherwise, the
> point is moot: no desktop *today* supports the OnlyShowInLang feature. So,
> even if we agree on this change, it'll take around 6 months for the first
> versions supporting the feature to start rolling out -- and about 2 years for
> it to be mainstream.

You're right. I think I can provide the tentative patch in the shor term however actually I expect it takes much time for the modification to be applied in Desktop Entry.
I cannot break the specification but need to resolve this issue.

> So, assuming you have control of the desktop, I suggest you simply hijack the
> language selection applet in the desktop and delete/add the menu entry. This
> satisfies your contract.

We have an application to modify the menus with GUI but unfortunatelly I think it does not satisfy the request.

> If you cannot implement this (I wouldn't -- it's too hacky), then you must
> provide a workaround for the desktops where the feature is not present.

Yes, I think it's a possible tentative solution.

How do you proceed the enhancement of Desktop Entry specification if developers want to change it generally?
I'm not sure how to get agreements of fixes or other solutions.
Do also you need the patch and bugid for the specification?