locale specific for .desktop

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Oct 18 08:38:12 PDT 2007

Em Thursday 18 October 2007 12:34:01 Takao Fujiwara - Tokyo S/W Center
escreveu:
> In the current implemetation, I have no workaround to do this but this
> configuration is needed by users. Would you help this?
[snip]
> The situation is, whether the configuraters like it or not, the settings
> are needed under a contract and the application is expected to use on a
> locale.

If I understand correctly now, you're under a contract to develop an
application that shows in the menus only when the locale is set to a given
value.

If you're looking into modifications for the XDG standard, then you must also
be under contract to provide the entire desktop to the user. Otherwise, the
point is moot: no desktop *today* supports the OnlyShowInLang feature. So,
even if we agree on this change, it'll take around 6 months for the first
versions supporting the feature to start rolling out -- and about 2 years for
it to be mainstream.

So, assuming you have control of the desktop, I suggest you simply hijack the
language selection applet in the desktop and delete/add the menu entry. This
satisfies your contract.

If you cannot implement this (I wouldn't -- it's too hacky), then you must
provide a workaround for the desktops where the feature is not present.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358