locale specific for .desktop

Takao Fujiwara - Tokyo S/W Center Takao.Fujiwara at Sun.COM
Sun Oct 21 23:10:44 PDT 2007

Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 20:28 +0900, Takao Fujiwara - Tokyo S/W Center
> wrote:
>
>>Patryk Zawadzki wrote:

>>>Why? If I take my laptop to Japan it will still run in pl_PL locale
>>>but my demand for software might change. I strongly believe (and
>>>others seem they also do) that hiding an application from the user is
>>>doing him a bad favor.
>>
>>The users don't have the bad favor because the system is configured
>>under the default configuration and it means the users are properly
>>explained how to show the specific application when they change the
>>locales.
>

> A) Who are the users?
>
> B) How is this a spec problem rather than a packaging problem?
>
> It seems to me that your "users" are "Sun's customers" who are located
> in a specific region of Asia. These customers are not the end users, but
> the "administrators" who are requesting the default configuration be a
> certain way. The default should be that said application is not
> installed for those locales, rather than installed, but hidden.

Yes right but they could be the end users and/or sysadmins.
The problem is the region needs to install the app by default when the desktop is a locale so I think the installer cannot hide the menu item when other users install all locales.

> The way you are demanding things work would be analogous to me decided
> to speak in French one day, and suddenly having all the English
> literature disappear from my bookshelf when I walk up to it.

I'm not sure if I understand this metaphor.
I think a desktop normally has a theme and the distributors decide which menu items are installed. One region needs to show a menu item by default but the application does not work on other locales and then the special logic is needed in .desktop side.

> If it's not something that would happen in the real world, I don't see
> it really making much sense in the desktop metaphor world, either. It
> seems the best approach is to either solve the problem with packaging,
> or system lock-down administration tools.

As I noted, unfortunatelly I think this problem cannot be resolved in the installation and it's a default installation but not a post configuration so sysadmin tool does not help to resolve this.

fujiwara