locale specific for .desktop

David Weinehall david.weinehall at nokia.com
Mon Oct 22 07:28:26 PDT 2007

On mån, 2007-10-22 at 23:10 +0900, ext Takao Fujiwara wrote:
> Patryk Zawadzki さんは書きました:
> > 2007/10/22, Takao Fujiwara <Takao.Fujiwara at sun.com>:
> >> Patryk Zawadzki さんは書きました:
> >> The application supports one locale. If we support some locales,
> >> we need to buy the locale data, then this couldn't be resolved in the software level.
> >> If we(Sun) say to support a locale, we need to provide the translation.
> >
> > No, you just call it "Chinese Dictionary" in the desktop file or "Map
> > of Japan" or whatever name clearly states the language or locale
> > involved. No software should ever change the content available to the
> > user based on the current system locale.
> >

> Unfortunately it's not expected the application is shown on other locales.
> The application needs to be shown on a locale only in the menu and I'm finding the resolution.

Then you'll just have to patch the menu software you use.  Problem
solved.  Please don't expect have kludges in a standard just because
you've made promises to your customers you cannot keep, or have
historical baggage.  That might be how the Single Unix Specification
has been handled (the amount of backwards compatibility for insane
things, mainly through XSI, is frightening), and how Microsoft wants
to handle document standards, but it's not a sane way to handle things.

What you're asking for is a kludge that has no technical merit.

Regards. David