Bring fuse to the desktop

Mildred ml.mildred593 at online.fr
Tue Sep 11 15:41:14 PDT 2007

Le Tue 11/09/2007 à 22:21 Alberto Ruiz à écrit:
> 2007/9/11, Mildred <ml.mildred593 at online.fr>:
>

> > That's great (having fuse integrated in gnome/kde) but I was more
> > thinking of a way to standardize fuse filesystems to be able to use
> > them anywhere.
>

> What does anywhere means in this context? Any Linux installation? any
> OS with FUSE implemented? any OS even without FUSE implemented?

I would say any OS implementing FUSE, but the original idea was to be
able to use fuse filesystems without using the command line on any
desktop environment that support freedesktop standards.

> I think I don't really get what problem are you trying to solve with
> your suggestion. Can you please elaborate on that?

The idea is to be able to use fuse filesystems transparently on any
desktop environment that whishes to do so. And have the ability to add
support for others fuse filesystems without having to recompile or
upgrade my desktop environment in any way.

The idea is that desktop environment can use fuse in two ways :

1. by mounting a filesystem contained in a file. For example ISO images,
or ZIP archives. Here the idea is to have a database (I thought a
database composed of desktop files) that would associate to each mime
type handled by a fuse filesystem, the way to mount it using this fuse
filesystem.

For example I have a ZIP file and I have zipfs executable that uses
fuse to mount a ZIP file somewhere. There we need a desktop file to
tell the desktop environment that ZIP files (application/zip mime type)
can be mounted using zipfs executable and how (arguments of zipfs)

2. by mounting network filesystems identified by URIs. There the URI
protocol would be used to choose the fuse filesystem to handle it.

For example, in GNOME, If I choose menu Places -> Connect to server.
And if I type some URI here, if it isn't directly recognized, the
desktop environment (here gnome) would check desktop files describing
network filesystems to see if there is some fuse filesystem that could
handle that URI and how.

And the idea behind that is that if I want to install some new fuse
filesystem, I just have to install desktop files in correct location to
add support for it in my favourite desktop environment.

Is the explanation better ?

Mildred

--
Mildred Ki'lya
Site:	<http://mildred632.free.fr/>

GPG:	197C A7E6 645B 4299 6D37 684B 6F9D A8D6 [9A7D 2E2B]