Shared-metadata-spec

Ilmari Heikkinen ilmari.heikkinen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 02:55:48 PDT 2007

Hi,

Some questions on the shared metadata spec[1], is
this the place to ask them?

First, thank you for the spec, it made my life a lot easier.

Second, is the spec still alive, or should I use something else?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm working on a metadata
extraction app[2] which integrates the output of a dozen
different extractor programs and outputs metadata conforming
to the shared-metadata-spec.

And, well, the shared metadata spec seems to be a bit
incomplete. For one, there's no "Video"-namespace. I've added
some ad-hoc fields to the other namespaces as well, you can
see the list of additions below[3].

One more thing, File.Format uses shared-mime-info as the
backing ontology. Is there one for Audio.Codec and Video.Codec?

[1] http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/shared-filemetadata-spec
[2] http://dark.fhtr.org/repos/metadata

[3] List of my ad-hoc metadata fields:

Archive.Contents (array of pathnames)

Audio.Band
Audio.Composer
Audio.Conductor
Audio.Copyright (copyright message)
Audio.Grouping
Audio.Image (embedded image data)
Audio.InterpretedBy
Audio.Lyricist
Audio.Publisher
Audio.RemixedBy
Audio.Subtitle
Audio.Tempo (integer)
Audio.VariableBitrate (boolean)
Audio.Writer

Doc.Album
Doc.Artist
Doc.Charset
Doc.Description
Doc.Genre
Doc.Language
Doc.ModifyDate
Doc.PageSizeName (A4, A5, letter, ...)

File.Software (software used to create file)

Image.DateCreated
Image.DateTimeCreated
Image.DateTimeOriginal
Image.DimensionUnit (px, mm, pt, ...)