SpatialBundles

Luca Cappelletti luca.cappelletti at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 02:21:19 PDT 2007

On 9/24/07, Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com> wrote:

> wanted to make the thing unpack in a fixed directory. But only one
> application can unpack in that directory (otherwise, when do you clean
> it up?

SpatialBundles are not a "Draft" but applications that peoples (my test user
case Persona and someone else in the Globe I don't know) already use it
everyday from a years ago.
That issue is solved automagically from the SpatialBundle.

other instances could be running, furthermore, another user could
> own the directory and make you run whatever code he wanted, etc)

The directory is only your and only you can write on..the others can only
read depend on what maintainer/packager config  during build time.

It also
> means that if you run two different bundles they would unpack different
> things in the same place.

It's a little bit wrong,
SpatialBundles are versioning safe and understand already unpacked
SpatialBundles.
It's all in your hands how you would build and share the applications.
SpatialBundles line guide and code prevent you to cache the bundle in the
same directory.
Now if you inject code in a standard installation you do it to all
users.Theinjection remain into the disk until you do not format and
reinstall the OS.
If you are able to inject code into root user you are also able to inject
code to the user that cache the SpatialBundle.After freed the cache every
code you injected will be cleared.The problem will be only for the original
running user and not for all the system.
So SpatialBundles reduce the risk that all the OS will be infected from the
injected code.
There's no way to spread trojan through the users using
SpatialBundles.Theylive into the user space rights.
So SpatialBundles enforce the UNIX philosophy to retain everything into
$HOME and let root just manage the OS.
When you use a SpatialBundle you handle a file that is the original bundle
but when you run it, you run clone cached so the original SpatialBundle
(CRCsumed and MD5sumed every time it's started) does not participate to the
injection or manipulation.
If you inject code into the original SpatialBundle...it do not run the next
time!!
So SpatialBundles ensure you that the original objects maintain it's
original attributes and functionalities.
If you add a single bit to a SpatialBundle...it do not run!!

This are big features of the SpatialBundle.
It do not cache if an already shared bundle is unpacked.So it run directly
saving time to the second user..that fells thinks speed up with good return
of experience.

> Maybe i misunderstood you. That is completely possible.

No I think you argue very well and understand all, probably I missed
granular information.

> But anyway, I don't see this as very interesting compared to other
> approches.

I think it's a good alternative that could live in the open source
ecosystem.
SpatialBundles are a super set of all executable data distribution systems
through all desktop UNIXEs.
It require only bash, and I found bash everywhere from all Linux to all BSD
to OSX and Windows too!!!
Today 99,99% of peoples using computer use: Windows Linux, Mac, PCBSD/*BSD*,
Symbian, PalmOS (this in the future will be Linux) and the rest of UNIX
around the globe.
There no ELF or Mach-O specifics but only bash (for now, but REXX is in
active evaluation).
You can put everything you need in a SpatialBundle from pure data to binary
to entire frameworks.
You can embed SpatialBundles into a SpatialBundle bringing with you the
payload dependencies to solve at runtime without the need to require users
to give their root password to install via synaptic & co the dependencies
library.
You can build a SpatialBundle to let klik and glick like acts as a platform
specific back end plug in!!
You can build a cross platform SpatialBundle that could run transparently in
Linux, BSD and Mac like a Universal Binary do through it's Mach-O
capability.

I think, like you, that it's not so interesting if compared to other
approaches (which one? I don't know), but for me and my user test it simply
Rock!! (consider that SpatialBundles are alpha technology for me)
They do not believe to their eyes in how is simply and usable.

Sorry for my very bed English (I hope that you understand me in some ways
and I thank you).

I would like to release 1.0 in April 2008 with next Ubuntu LTS.
In the mean time I release applications SpatialBundle based to let taste the
interaction and the return of experience.
I would like to learn more about the very good approach of glick (but too
much fusion/elf specific and so strictly closed to Linux and distro
specific...do glick run natively into DragonFly BSD?)

bye,

Luca

--
---
Luca Cappelletti

"...Together we stand, divided we fall."

.O.
..O
OOO

Skype: luca <dot> cappelletti
Linux Registered User: #223411
Ubuntu Registered User: #7221
http://www.advogato.org/person/mutek/
http://persone.softwarelibero.org/person/mutek
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucaCappelletti/
"l'intelligenza è utile per la sopravvivenza se ci permette di estinguere
una cattiva idea prima che la cattiva idea estingua noi"

"La chiave di ogni uomo è il suo pensiero. Benché egli possa apparire saldo
e autonomo, ha un criterio cui obbedisce, che è l'idea in base alla quale
classifica tutte le cose. Può essere cambiato solo mostrandogli una nuova
idea che sovrasti la sua"

"Uno studioso è soltanto un modo in cui una biblioteca crea un'altra
biblioteca "