[XESAM] Last Changes Before RC1 (sorry for delay)

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 00:54:39 PDT 2007

2007/9/26, Fabrice Colin <fabrice.colin at gmail.com>:

> On 9/26/07, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This will be the last batch of changes before we call RC1 (modulo
> upcoming
> > ontology update). As usual you can find the proposed items on
> > http://wiki.freedesktop.org/wiki/XesamSearchUpdates.
> >
> About item 4, I am okay with the new "type" selector. Since it now behaves
> like
> the attributes on "query", can we drop those altogether ?

No we can't do that, sorry. The type selector is only an extension. The
primary way of specifying what content or source to search in is to specify
it in the query attributes.

The reason for this is that content and source are not really fields, and
some engines treat them very differently, making it hard to do boolean ops
on them. In most cases ORing is easy because they can just search the
individual content/sources and merge the results, but ANDing (and full
boolean ops) require more work, that should be optional to support.

Cheers,
Mikkel