thumbnail mtime, ctime

John Tapsell johnflux at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 03:50:01 PDT 2008

On 27/03/2008, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak <mjc at avtechpulse.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The thumbnail spec requires the embedding of mtime (with 1 second
> resolution), and the use of mtime as the change-detection parameter.
>
> Unfortunately, the 1-second resolution causes problems sometimes (a file
> can change twice in a second!), and the use of mtime means that
> permissions changes do not trigger a re-thumbnailing. Both of these are
> "real" issues that do occur.

At the risk of stating the obvious - couldn't we just wait one second
before generating the preview?  This seems to be by far the easiest
solution, and I don't think anyone really cares if they have to wait a
second for the preview.  You could even check what the system time is
and then just sleep for the remainder of the second, which would be
500ms on average.
This seems to be a far more practical solution, no?

John