JobViewServer specification proposal

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Apr 2 03:02:49 PDT 2008

On Tuesday 01 of April 2008, A. Walton wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 2:50 PM, Rafael Fernández López
> Maybe it's just me, but I've always found Mathusalem to be a bit
> obtuse, as it'd require writing a lot of special-case code for
> something that's little more than a very long running notification.
> And it just so happens FD.O already has a specification for
> notifications [1], a daemon and client implementation, and it's well
> adopted code in the GNOME community (I can't speak for the KDE side of
> things).
>
> What really needs to happen, IMO, is an expansion of this existing
> standard and code to allow it to be flexible enough to be used with

 Just having something listed from fd.o does not make it a standard, sorry.
The Galago spec is used only by its own libnotification, nothing else. KDE
does not use it - it's a wheel reinvented to be quite different in principle
from KDE's KNotify and also from what I remember the Galago developers
weren't even open to incorporate changes to make it at least possible to map
it to how KNotify works.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz