request for a GPE Registered Category

Vincent Untz vuntz at gnome.org
Wed Apr 16 06:00:56 PDT 2008

Le mercredi 16 avril 2008, à 12:50 +0200, Stanislav Brabec a écrit :
> D Marlin wrote:
>
> > so GPE is working to comply with existing standards.  In support of
> > this effort, I would like to request the registration of an Additional
> > Category for GPE:
> >
> >   Additional                                         Related
> >   Category    Description                            Categories
> >   ----------  -------------------------------------  ---------------
> >   GPE	      Applications based on GPE libraries    GTK
> >
> > GPE is a GUI environment, similar to KDE or GNOME, but designed for
> > resource constrained devices (limited display area and input methods).
> >
> > Please let me know if you have any questions regarding this request,
> > or require additional information.  Comments and suggestions are
> > appreciated.
>
> Adding it to "Registered OnlyShowIn Environments" may be also an useful
> idea. GPE contains applications, which are GPE specific and should not
> be displayed in other desktops.

+1 for both. But see below...

> Off topic: Why ROX and XFCE are registered only for OnlyShowIn and not
> for Categories? Is it a mistake or intention?

Well, does it really make sense to have GNOME, KDE, etc. categories if
we have OnlyShowIn/NotShowIn? I don't see how useful those categories
could be. I guess the idea was really to not have GNOME as in "Desktop
Environment" but as "using the GNOME platform", but I'm not sure if it's
really useful...

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.