desktop neutral xsettings manager?

Rodney Dawes dobey.pwns at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 08:03:54 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 22:49 +0800, 洪任諭 wrote:
> No, lxsession and lxsession-lite don't do that.
> lxde-settings, however, map a simple config file with ini format to
> xsettings for LXDE.
>
> Besides, xsettings is NOT practically desktop-neutral.
> Currently only GTK+ programs use it.

Not true.

> No other toolkits or desktop environments support this.

I am pretty sure that Xt and Qt/KDE both support it.

> Also, the config values supported by gtk+'s xsettings can be set in gtkrc file.

Yes, because GTK+ != GNOME.

> So, for a gtk+ only desktop, there might be no point in using Xsettings.

Sure there is. The reason gnome-settings-daemon exists is exactly
because of this. Not every GTK+ app reads values directly from gconf.
However, with GNOME, many settings are stored there, and non-GNOME
apps need to use them as well. So, gnome-settings-daemon specifies
the font information, and other settings, via Xsettings. This is why
in GNOME, the font in GIMP, Inkscape, and other apps, is the same
across the board.

> This is the current status of that gtk+ only spec.

XSettings is not a gtk+ only spec. GTK+ might be the only toolkit
that makes extensive use, and extends it for its own settings as
well, though.

> So, we cannot expect too much now.

Sure we can. The only issue is that we need a cross-desktop
configuration solution also. Otherwise, you're going to need to
have the cross-desktop xsettings daemon read config values from
various places, and magically try to merge them into one value.

-- dobey