desktop neutral xsettings manager?

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Apr 24 00:21:39 PDT 2008

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 08:59:25 +0200 Stephan Arts wrote:

> 2008/4/23 洪任諭 <pcman.tw at gmail.com>:
> > 2008/4/23 Rodney Dawes <dobey.pwns at gmail.com>:
> >

> >  >  On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 22:49 +0800, 洪任諭 wrote:
> >  >  > No, lxsession and lxsession-lite don't do that.
> >  >  > lxde-settings, however, map a simple config file with ini
> >  >  > format to xsettings for LXDE.
> >  >  >
> >  >  > Besides, xsettings is NOT practically desktop-neutral.
> >  >  > Currently only GTK+ programs use it.
> >  >
> >  >  Not true.
> >  >  > No other toolkits or desktop environments support this.
> >  >
> >  >  I am pretty sure that Xt and Qt/KDE both support it.
> >  That's according to document of the spec on FD.O.
> >  IIRC, the so-called KDE support is a patch provided for mandriva
> > which is not widely-adopted.
> >  Some names of config values are even prefixed with Gtk, so I don't
> >  think other toolkits can
> >  handle this natively without patches.
> >  XFCE has a xsettings manager, too, but it can only affects the
> >  xfce/gtk+ programs.
> >

> You can try xfconfd from xfce-svn[0], this comes with xfsettingsd.
> The xsettings are stored with xfconfd, xfconf-query can get- and set-
> the values.
> It depends on gtk and dbus, no scary other stuff.

Well, actually it currently depends on libxfce4util as well, but just
for a couple convenience functions that could be easily #ifdef-ed out
if anyone cared to make it gtk/dbus-only.  Hell, with a couple hours of
work (or less), you could probably remove the gtk dep as well (just use
xlib + glib's io watch stuff and a GMainLoop).  I'd even consider doing
this myself, later on, after we're "done" writing it.

I wouldn't consider any of it quite ready for prime-time yet, though it
should in theory be pretty light-weight for one of the smaller WMs/DEs
to use if they like.

	-brian