desktop neutral xsettings manager?

Stephan Arts stephan at xfce.org
Wed Apr 23 23:59:25 PDT 2008

2008/4/23 洪任諭 <pcman.tw at gmail.com>:
> 2008/4/23 Rodney Dawes <dobey.pwns at gmail.com>:
>

>  >  On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 22:49 +0800, 洪任諭 wrote:
>  >  > No, lxsession and lxsession-lite don't do that.
>  >  > lxde-settings, however, map a simple config file with ini format to
>  >  > xsettings for LXDE.
>  >  >
>  >  > Besides, xsettings is NOT practically desktop-neutral.
>  >  > Currently only GTK+ programs use it.
>  >
>  >  Not true.
>  >  > No other toolkits or desktop environments support this.
>  >
>  >  I am pretty sure that Xt and Qt/KDE both support it.
>  That's according to document of the spec on FD.O.
>  IIRC, the so-called KDE support is a patch provided for mandriva which
>  is not widely-adopted.
>  Some names of config values are even prefixed with Gtk, so I don't
>  think other toolkits can
>  handle this natively without patches.
>  XFCE has a xsettings manager, too, but it can only affects the
>  xfce/gtk+ programs.

You can try xfconfd from xfce-svn[0], this comes with xfsettingsd.
The xsettings are stored with xfconfd, xfconf-query can get- and set-
the values.
It depends on gtk and dbus, no scary other stuff.

If you want to set xsettings (for example, the theme-name) you can do
it as followed.

xfconf-query -c xsettings -p '/Net/ThemeName' -s 'Clearlooks'

It is currently under development (going to replace xfce-mcs for 4.6),
but as a system which can be completely configured from the CLI, it
might be just what the topic-starter needs.

Regards,

Stephan

0) http://svn.xfce.org/svn/xfce/xfconf/trunk