desktop neutral xsettings manager?

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Thu Apr 24 02:25:11 PDT 2008

On Thursday, 24. April 2008, 洪任諭 wrote:
> Besides, naming of icon themes should be standarsized first.

Hello?
http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html
http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-naming-spec/icon-naming-spec-latest.html

> Otherwise, using a common icon theme for programs developed with
> different toolkits under the same desktop environment won't work at all.
> So, they are still much to do. At least developers should push this into
> KDE.

Not that I want to rant about bad research, but KDE 4 does support and make
use of both of the above specifications. There were a few bugs with the
latter in KDE 4.0, but with 4.1 at latest, you can perfectly use
gnome-icon-theme, Tango & Co. as KDE-wide icon theme.

So the only thing that's missing for complete unification is automatic
synchronization of the selected icon theme, which would probably happen via
xsettings.