desktop neutral xsettings manager?

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Apr 24 02:32:00 PDT 2008

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 17:05:14 +0800 洪任諭 wrote:

> Besides, some standard names of config values should be defined.
> GTK+ currently use something like Gtk/FontName to specify its font.
> So, it's impossible that KDE will use this.

True.

> Besides, Net/Theme is also problematic since there aren't many
> cross-desktop themes.

Also true.

> Besides, naming of icon themes should be standarsized first.

That's already been done.  See the icon-naming spec.

I believe how things work here is generally this: if you want to change
an existing spec, create a patch file for the spec, post it to the
list, and ask for comments.  Set some sort of deadline, e.g., "if no
one objects by the 5th of May, I'll consider everyone to be happy with
this."  Of course then you have to convince someone with commit access
to commit your patch...

If you really want things to change, help make it happen.  Talking
about it isn't gonna cut it.  Write a spec, write a reference
implementation, whatever.

	-brian

P.S.  Please don't CC me in list mails; I already receive them and
don't need duplicates.