Commit notifications for specs

Vincent Untz vuntz at gnome.org
Wed Apr 30 08:58:59 PDT 2008

Le mercredi 30 avril 2008, à 17:18 +0200, Pau Garcia i Quiles a écrit :
> Quoting Vincent Untz <vuntz at gnome.org>:
>
> > I totally agree that we need to put more than just versions of the
> > specs, but also the adoption status, a kind of stability status (is it
> > still in development, with potential incompatible changes in the
> > future?), draft vs released status, etc.
>
> Regarding the adoption status, stability status, etc, I'd like to urge
> both KDE eV and Gnome Foundation to "enforce" FreeDesktop.org's
> specifications, as I discussed with Vincent and others at Guademy last
> weekend.
>
> Long story short, it would be like this: if there is a fd.o spec for
> what you are doing and you are not using it, your app/library won't
> enter the official KDE/Gnome/whatever repository *unless* you provide
> good reasons for not implementing the fd.o spec (that "unless" is
> there in case the spec is disconnected from reality or plain junk).

Oh, I remember you mentioning this, but I forgot to ask you: any example
of KDE or GNOME apps not following a spec without a good reason?

(note that the issue is a bit orthogonal to the discussion, since the
specs are, hopefully, more widely adopted than just in GNOME & KDE)

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.